Wednesday, July 30, 2008

CNN'S BLACK IN AMERICA DISAPPOINTS Viewers Comment....

You know I promoted the whole BLACK IN AMERICA trailer in the hopes that it would give the next generation some education on our heritage. Talk about our struggles and how we have to overcome. How it is harder to get ahead in White America to this day. I thought it would go into the poor educational system for the poverty stricken. Maybe talk about how when crack was introduced into the poorest of neighbors, how it ruined a lot of lives...purposely. Of course they wouldn't go to that extreme, but I thought since Soledad O'brien researched for 18 months black women and men that she would have discovered some interviewees with some solutions. and I really hoped that she wouldn't put a crack head or somebody with no teeth on there! Nope. Sure enough she went the safe way out. I guess she has to keep her job. I believe CNN is going to do more series on different subjects affecting blacks in America. I think every month. Don't quote me.

I had a brief discussion over the series with my brother this afternoon and he didn't seem bothered by the show either way. And he usually looking for the media to sugar coat, misinform or half ass the black related material they throw at us...but he really didn't have much to say... That bothered me. I wanted to feel something after waiting (and promoting) this skim the surface (supposedly in depth) documentary. Check out some of the comments I found on the web...there's a lot of people who feel the same way as me. We can't all be crazy CNN...

I felt that the two part series was rushed...which left me feeling empty. Perhaps, Part 1 and Part 2 could have been aired over a two week period, allowing more time to explore each segment. What a BIG let down...Read on Click here.

Ok CNN, let’s see if you can do better.. Ah two black men in little rock - one light and one dark. The light one makes it; the dark one falters and then is redeemed through the Church. Finally the two black americas. Let’s get it CNN. The story is familiar - black boy told he shouldn’t go to college, he’d do better being a garabage man. He decides to join the army and goes to Vietnam. He comes back and robs a bank. He goes to jail, comes out and he gets hooked on crack. He stays addicted. He has no relationship with her daughter. He hits rock bottom and turns his life around. He changes his name to an African name, and he becomes a minister. A nice happy ending. Click Here to read the rest of this comment.

As a black woman, I was excited to watch a documentary about myself on a respected network such as CNN. I thought I might learn something new, I was disappointed for many reasons. Click here to read all of this commentary...

Being Black in America has been paved by historical and present social and political policy. Everyone speaks of solutions while avoiding how the problems began. For instance Black females have always been forced into the position of head of the household this started during slavery when the family by law could be divided and inventory needed to be increased. When welfare was offered to African American Women during the 1960’s it required that no male be present in the home again creating the female headed household.

My point is if solution are truly the goal, then true insight into how these conditions have evolved must be examined there is a beginning to every situation. Without such true insight the question will forever remain “What are the solutions?”

On the subject “Missing Fathers”, where are the Fathers I kept waiting for someone to mention how the “System” is designed? The “System” is designed to keep the male out of the house! If a women has a child she can get help from the government if the man is NOT around. It is more beneficial to the woman - link card, subsidised housing, medical ibenefits.

In order to find a solution, you must go back to the origin of the problem. The system needs to be revamped. Some incentives or assistance should be given to the FAMILY not just to single moms!

I found the last two comments on Anderson Cooper's blog, also an anchor on CNN, click here to read the rest.

Very interesting comments indeed. I didn't feel that the show brought any new insight to blacks or whites for that matter. Same old same old. They did bust Washington DC out for having that high percentage of residents with the HIV or AIDS virius. 1 out of every 20 residents are walking around with it. I just felt that it didn't dwelve into the real problems and solutions facing all americans today. Race is not going to even matter in a minute. It's going to be about Rich or Poor. One good thing that I can say about this shallow series is that it has started a lot of interesting conversations. Maybe Spike Lee will come out with a more intensive researched documentary on Blacks. Go back in history and show how our family bond was broken in the beginning! Yes people 400 years ago. Let's get our culture back and be proud of it.

DON'T BE DUPED! BARACK OBAMA '08

No comments: